BUILDINGS AND STREETS
For some years the Team has been researching the older buildings and streets of Lyme Regis and the surrounding area, during which time we have been invited to visit several of the houses under investigation.
Those findings currently available are listed below, mainly by street name. Some documents have been written up as short papers, others are the raw data we have collected together over the years. We aim to add further documents as time allows.
BROAD STREET, LYME REGIS
A snapshot in time of all Broad Street businesses advertising that year.
Timelines of known occupying Businesses listed by individual premise.
Be prepared, there are over 1,000! Keep an eye on the filenames as you browse as these give both the address and the year of publication. If you are interested in seeing all the adverts for particular premises, download the file and then search by building number.
Timeline of occupying businesses
Demolition of the Assembly Rooms, Broad Street, Lyme Regis and, more controversially, the Victoria Hall the following year.
Has the location been discovered?
A description of the varied businesses which have been accommodated here.
A building with a long history, this is a glimpse into its life as a Hotel in the 1930s.
Full details of all films shown between July 1948 and December 1955.
Originally called Bank House and an imposing building even now, it must have been even grander when built in 1790
CHURCH STREET, LYME REGIS
COOMBE STREET LYME REGIS
Although the present building only dates from after WWII, the site has a long history, possibly dating back to Elizabethan times when the neighbouring Gosling Bridge would have been the main entrance to Lyme Regis from inland.
GEORGES SQUARE, LYME REGIS
Operating from at least the 15th Century until destroyed by fire in 1844, the George was the major hostelry during the time of the packhorse trains, losing it's status once the first carriage road into the town was built in 1858.
Following on from the authors' note at the end of the paper on the Old George Inn about the possible re-use of the Dutch bricks after the fire, this paper shows where some such bricks have been found.
POUND STREET, LYME REGIS
The history of the Georgian House of that name that occupied this whole area before its destruction by fire in 1952 and the subsequent division into 10 separate dwellings.
SILVER STREET, LYME REGIS
Including a fascinating painting from the 1950s showing lower Silver Street as it was before buildings were demolished where the the library and layby now are.